Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Throwback Thursday, August 20

A TRIBUTE

Here is a quilt for my son, Chris, which I began when he was in college.  He wanted a black quilt, but I said, "No way."  I decided on dark blue with a simple Amish style pattern.  I got it almost quilted when he got engaged and married.  She had a different color scheme planned, so I put it away all these years.  He lived through cancer and a divorce, then side effects in recent years.  I hoped to finish it for him, but he passed away in April.  
    Last week I read about Cynthia Brunz's idea for volunteers to finish a quilt for another.  I took the quilt to my local Monona Quilters on Monday and one of the members very kindly offered to finish the quilt so it could be donated to a local charity called Road Home.  This group provides housing for homeless families.  I am so very grateful that it will go to a family who really needs it.  Chris was a very generous person and would have appreciated that.

 
This quilt will be my small tribute to Chris, who was taken too soon.  I am grateful to have this new community of caring quilting friends, both near and far, who have helped me to focus on a way to give of myself and my talents now and in the future.

I link up with RSC15 at superscrappy.blogspot.com, Sew Cute Tuesday at blossomheartquilts.com and Throwback Thursday at kristaquilts.blogspot.com. 

7 comments:

  1. It is lovely and very masculine. So sorry he never had a chance to enjoy it; so glad someone else will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful quilt, Paula. I'm sorry for your loss and imagine your son would be pleased that the quilt will provide warmth and comfort to a family in need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. That's a lovely quilt, and a wonderful tribute to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry to read your son Chris has passed away, losing a son or daughter must be so hard to bare/bear?. Sorry could not decide on the bare bear.

    This is a lasting memory and how nice someone is going to finish it for you and I know it will be well appreciated by the family it goes to

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a touching story about a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly sorry for your loss and am touched that you can still think of the needs of others at such a time. This quilt is a beautiful tribute to your son Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wherever you decide to donate that quilt it will be a lovely - and loving - tribute to your son. What a beautiful gift for someone in need of comfort or encouragement.

    ReplyDelete