Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Midweek Makers, 8/16

FUN WITH FABRIC

This week I got sidetracked by a squirrel.  Just when I had my WIPs plan all laid out.  I came across the Mile a Minute quilt tutorial by Edith at inchbyinchquilting.blogspot.ca.   My plans flew out the window and I gathered all my little scraps.  To make a baby quilt I need 25 blocks at 8.5 inches, one of my standard sizes.  

After piecing together small bits for the 25 blocks, I became impatient to see RESULTS.


I chose four of them randomly and went to work, using  a sort of log cabin technique, and finished them at  8.5 inches.  Needless to say, they are very colorful.  They do need sashing and I just happen to have a big pile of 2-inch neutral strips.  When I was needing strips I asked my friend, who has a Go cutter, to cut some.  She went ahead and cut up all the fabric I gave her, enough for many neutral Strippy projects.  Here is how the blocks and sashing will look.


Since then I haven't been able to stop working on these blocks.  I'm chain piecing the rest of the strips.  They are in various stages of completion, most nearing the finish.  But today I have six finished blocks to share.


The weather has been delightful this week, energizing me to keep up the pace.  I should finish the blocks by the end of the week and get going on the sashiing.
For the backing I have a cute piece of fleece to make it nice and cuddly.  

 Our Monona Quilters next charity quilt collection is in October, so I will have this unexpected Project Linus quilt to contribute. 

I'm linking with Midweek Makers at 

Friday, August 11, 2017

RSC17 week 32

A BIT OF NEUTRAL

This week I got sidetracked by a squirrel.  Just when I had my WIPs plan all laid out.  I came across the Mile a Minute quilt tutorial by Edith at inchbyinchquilting.blogspot.ca.   My plans for neutrals flew out the window and I gathered all my little scraps.  To make a baby quilt I need 25 blocks at 8.5 inches, one of my standard sizes.  

After piecing together small bits for the 25 blocks, I became impatient to see RESULTS.


I chose four of them randomly and went to work, using  a sort of log cabin technique, and finished them at  8.5 inches.  Needless to say, they are very colorful.  They do need sashing and I just happen to have a big pile of 2-inch neutral strips.  When I was needing strips I asked my friend, who has a Go cutter, to cut some.  She went ahead and cut up all the fabric I gave her, enough for many neutral Strippy projects.  Here is how the blocks and sashing will look.



That's all the neutrals I have done so far, and those are just laid on my design floor.  However, I'm looking forward to Monday, when a talented friend from our Monona Quilters will bring me some samples of her small study pieces.  I plan to make some small ones myself in neutral minimal style and she can show me the technical details.  

The weather has been delightful this week, energizing me to get my latest WIP finished.  I added borders to my Fence Rail Stars top and enlarged the bunny backing with leftover blocks. 




Now I just have to dig into my batting to find pieces to use for the 42-inch square quilt.  And work on 21 more MaM blocks. Our guild's next charity quilt collection is in October, so I will have at least two Project Linus quilts to contribute.

I hope the rest of you friends have more ideas for neutrals this week.  The blocks I've been doing monthly don't seem to work for neutrals.  I guess I will have to rely on you and the squirrels for more ideas.  

For more inspiration check out these great scrappy blogs this weekend.
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at





Friday, August 4, 2017

RSC week 31

IN BETWEEN

This week has been one of catching up on a couple of projects and reshuffling my stash again.  Last week i decided to make a Friendship Star block.  It turned out to be a frustrating time for  me. How hard can it be to make one small star?  I found out!  I had the most beautiful jelly roll strip in royal blue so that was my choice of technique.  There are a number of ways to cut the HSTs.  I used my Easy Angle ruler to cut all the triangles.  A wornout rotary blade was no help.  I had to rip at least three times to get the star sewn together when it ended up backwards.  


I had two goals for the star, doing something with blue and making more stars for my patriotic star quilt.  With time on my hands, I used the Magic Eight technique, my favorite HST technique.  It worked well, but I had cut two large squares of a different blue.  So I ended up with four more stars, two with red centers.  They are all six inches.



I've been poking along with my Fence Rail Stars quilt.  


Now I'm adding extra blocks to the bunny backing.  Fortunately I am able to make good use of the blocks that I cut too short.  Here is the first part of it just finished.




For the new neutrals color I'm at a disadvantage, never having worked with them much.  I really had to dig everywhere to come up with what I hope will work.  These scrappy blocks for my improv quilt are really the only neutrals I've done.



I'm looking forward to see how you friends work with the neutrals.  Hopefully by next week I'll be able to produce something neutral.  I know some of you are gifted that way.  We will see what this color junkie can produce.  

For more scrappiness take a look here.  I link up with
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at