Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Scrap Attack, 1/31/18

FINISH GEESE MIGRATION QUILT

My Scrap Attack goals this year are not really about scraps themselves.  They  are eleven UFO finishes and one scrap project.  I will draw a project each month from the following list:
  1. Rail Fence Star
  2. Balloons
  3. Houses
  4. Sizzle Strips
  5. Improv blocks
  6. X Block
  7. Gentrification
  8. Spinning Curves
  9. Stars Large and Small
  10. Beth's Quilt
  11. Trim all scraps
  12. Geese Migration
For this January finish I drew my Geese Migration top.  I waited until this last week of the month to work on it, in order to concentrate my  efforts on one project.   Becuase this was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2017 project, I finished the top last November.  


This  is a Project Linus quilt, as are most of my quilts.  So I usually use a fleece backing instead of three layers. It also is more cuddly and a whole lot cheaper.  I can buy fleece crib size blankets for about $3 each on sale.  Right now I have about ten of them on hand, because my dear daughter gave me several for Christmas.  

The top is about 45 inches square.  I considered using a wider black outer border, but for some unexplained reason I use the 1-1/2 inch strips instead.  I have no recollection at all of doing this.  A senior moment, I guess.

Today I have gotten the top quilted except for the binding.  I have not chosen any fabric for that yet.  Does that make it officially a finish?  I guess not, but at this late date my shoulders are shouting, "Enough!"  

So here is my Scrap Attack January project, which WILL get done by the end of this week.  Isn't the backing fleece just perfect!  


I've never participated in a goal quilt-along before and it has worked so well for me.  Guess all those late night college papers drummed deadlines into my head. That was back in the old days of whiteout. 


Meanwhile, you can see all the cheerful happenings today at
Scrap Attack at Sarah's blog at
This weekend 
I will also be linking up with
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at






9 comments:

  1. I love the subtle shading of your geese and squares! Claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for computers and Sarah's Scrap Attack Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty quilt and a fun backing! Congrats on your January Scrap Attack achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun rainbow quilt, Paula! It's going to make some child very happy with all the bright colors. The black sashing makes it look like stained glass. Do you think you'll do black binding, too? You're right, the backing is perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your First Finsh for 2018. A lovely quilt - the black sashing is very effective. Love the idea of using a fleece backing. I never have because I imagined it to be difficult to sew on the machine. You have obviously got it all worked out. Great choice of little rainbows on the fleece to match the RSC Geese on the front. 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so well. Great quilting and nearly a finish. Get it done and cross it off the list..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt top! Love the rainbow blocks! I haven't used fleece as backing before and really want to try it, it is difficult to quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt. Such a good idea to keep the blocks simple and set them together in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete