Friday, May 26, 2017

RSC17 week 21

  HELP ME CHOOSE

I have been working on Ad Hoc Improv Quilts Challenge Two this month.  We must make a quilt using any two different blocks.  A while back I made eight wonky houses using a stack and whack technique.  I forget where,I found the directions, but if any of you know, please let me know.  These are 8-1/2 inches.
P.S. - Thank you, Jo , for the Stash Bee Hive 9 post for the wonky house instructions.  See comment 2 below..

The second blocks, which I just finished, are totally scrappy Improv types, a new effort for me.


They really need some sashing, so please help me decide among these different styles.


This is a quarterly challenge with plenty of time to think and change or add elements, no rush.

Because there is only a tiny bit of green above, I will show you this quilted wall hanging made around 1990, which really says spring to me.  This is the third in a series made using a block in a photo from a Michael James book.  I call it Sunlight.




As you see, I used velvets, batiks, silk, satin and ribbons to show ssunlight streaming through the trees.  It has been one of my favorites and was very improvisational also.
Have a fun week with your stitching and check out these scrappy links:

Rainbow Scrap Challenge at

Thanks, Kaya and Ann, for running this challenge.  Come check out the Ad Hoc Improv Quilts doings at  Kaya's blog,  Sew Slowly, or Ann's blog, Fret Not Yourself

24 comments:

  1. Wow! I LOVE your Sunlight quilt! Maybe you could show it at Monona sometime?
    Best wishes, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://stashbee.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/hive-9-june-tutorial-improv-houses.html
    Is this what you are looking for

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the black sashing. It makes the houses pop

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both of the top photos, the black and the bright green. These improv blocks are bold and can hold their own with strong sashing. The black is a more sophisticated look, while the bright green is more playful. In fact, I think you could even use both: for instance, set one column in black, the next in green. How many blocks do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thinking I like the black sashing best find a bark one makes the colours pop. Good to have the link for the wonky hose checked it out and now following the blog. Love the sunshine quilt thought at first it was HSTs and QSTs but think it is more complicated than that very striking

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is the lime green - but then that is my favorite. You'll know when you find the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the green - the houses are sitting on a new field of grass! What ever you select will be lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The black with string is really great. Could you make an inner block of the exciting green, surrounded by blocks sashed in the black? A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have really got some work to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The black and the green really spark the blocks and make them the focus of your quilt. The other two are too wishy washy and everything just runs together. Now how's that for some artistic explanation? Love the sunlight quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sunlight is so cool. I vote for the neutral Lime green sashing. Lawns between the homes and empty lots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the black print and the gray sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the black print and the gray sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember seeing Sunlight before and still find it beautiful. Like Lee Anna, I vote for lime green. Love her reasoning, too. This will be a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like both the black and the green, too. Your sunlight through the trees wall-hanging is wonderful! It really does have that effect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the black or the bottom right. Both keep blocks from blending in or looking too dark.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ad Hoc challenges had fallen completely off my radar. Thanks for the reminder! I love your little Michael James inspired quilt. As far as the sashing choices go, I'd use either of the top two but I'm more drawn to the one I perceive as black. It makes the blocks stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those house blocks are just adorable! They look fabulous with the lime green sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I choose the darker background. It really makes the houses standout. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two AHIQ posts in one week - great going! I too veer towards the green or the black but it is interesting to see the other options too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welllll... You have two very different color schemes going with the bright houses and the dull greens and browns of the improv blocks. It looks like two different quilts. Both sets are great, but it isn't working for me. I would make another set of improv blocks with more bright colors and the lime green sashing. Lots of great possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the black, with the green next. Happy stitching this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought I liked the black best first, then I preferred the bright green. now I can't make my mind up between the two, I just love the contrast.I love Sunlight, you were way ahead of time Paula

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the black fabric the best--nice work! I just think sunlight is fabrulous--great colors hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete