For the back I have yardage of a lovely turquoise shade and I want to have balloons being set free and ascending up, up and away.
I've never really done appliqué and have been afraid to try it, but the backing is sitting there waiting. This month I read on some blogs about Lara Bucella!s brand new book Crafted Appliqué. I don't do hand stitching any more and this seemed like an answer to prayer.
At the same time I read about the Brave Quiter challenge for June at Pink Doxies and decided to enter to give me an incentive to complete this quilt back. I ordered the book from Amazon and bought Mod Podge for fabric and some foam brushes at Hobby Lobby. Yesterday I found a scrap of fabric to work with. Here is my layout.
It was easy to apply the Mod Podge and smooth it out. After drying, I cut out the circles of various sizes to test my luck with different stitches.
The results are very unimpressive. But I did try the single stitch, the worst one, and the satin stitch possibly passable with practice. I think the chicken tracks, or whatever they are, turned out the best. It was the easiest to turn and hid glitches better. The glue held the circles in place, however the edges came loose in a few places. I pressed them again as recommended and that was an improvement. No fabric was scorched in this test.
So I completed my goal to see if I could do the appliqué and that was a great incentive. Big thanks to you, Julie.