Saturday, May 5, 2018

RSC 18 week 18

NEW DIRECTION

This was sort of a bridge week for my quilting.  I really haven't started on my May colors of pink and rose.  However, pink and rose are in ample supply in the top I've just finished.

The holdover from last month is my yellow/gold Sawtooth Star block.  Don't look too closely at the piecing, please.  Somehow my ruler measurements didn't agree with what I  ended up with.  Guess the math just makes my head spin as usual.  I always seem to waste fabric by cutting things wrong and then having no fabric left to replace it.  I'm trying to fussy cut my centers, of course.



Here is the top made from a layer cake collection that has been in my stash for a long time. It was a joy to make and is already on its way to Covered In Love.



Meanwhile, for the last couple of months I've been really immersed in learning about minimal improv quilting.  It's where I'm finding my desire to be creative has taken me.  After looking at lots of examples on Pinterest and reading a couple of books and also talking with a couple of folks in my guild, I'm taking the plunge.  I'll be taking time to study each piece during the process.  

This is my first effort.  I found an 8-inch improv block in my stash, part of a Rainbow Scrap Challenge set.  The warm tones and the look of Africa gave me the starting point. I'm not happy with the flying geese block.  It's too dark and draws my eye away from the main block.  This I is just a work in progress.




So off I go on my elephant safari into unknown territory.  Wish me luck, dear friends.

Check out all the colorful happenings at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at
   soscrappy  and
Oh, Scrap! at 


14 comments:

  1. I like your Sawtooth Star! I'm enjoying fussy cutting the centers, too. I've also had some of my flying geese be a little bit off size-wise and it makes me wonder if they are a little bit stretchy on that edge. Pretty top for CiL, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your star looks fine to me and what a pretty top! Enjoy your improv work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that quilt top looks so good! Nice and springy and sure to be comforting. And good luck with the improv piecing. Once you get the hang of it, it's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the start and it looks perfect to me! Good luck on your new quilting adventure - jumping outside the box and our comfort zone can be really fun sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your improv piece - every bit of it. The vibe is definitely African, which you must know really appeals to me since I’m going to Kenya in July. Plus I did a quilt called Images of Africa about 10 years ago (on my blog, follow the Images of Africa link in the label word cloud). Anyway, I applaud you for following your muse! And to be honest, we ALL have less-than-perfect piecing. Anyone who doesn’t admit it, well, they’re just not admitting it! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo! That layer cake quilt you sent to Covered in Love is gorgeous! Good luck with your improv adventure. I envy those who make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the improv! I'll look on with envy, since I'm not brave enough to try! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I think everyone's comfort zone for improv is a little different. The trick is to find your sweet spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Instead of a math-ing error in your YELLOW block, I think you just had a match-ing issue. That happens to most everyone from time to time. Nice job on your CiL quilt, as it's such a great start to PINK month and Kat will be happy to have it for her program!! If you Safari quilt will be bigger, just echo the bits of black somewhere else. That should do the trick to balance things out. Have fun with that new-to-you technique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a lot of happiness in all these blocks Paula. Great bridge week sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun with your improv piece. You never quite know where those blocks will take you.

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the start of your colours of Africa. Just add a little strip of the darker colour to the bottom of the main block. That will balance the colour a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sawtooth star is nice but I always love your improv work, you have such flair for colour Paula. More please!

    ReplyDelete