Friday, April 28, 2017

RSC17 week 17

TWO TOPS DONE

TOP ONE:  I finished piecing my Summer quilt and showed it at the Monona Quilters meeting on Monday.  Some of the folks there had never seen a Kaffe Fassett quilt before.  It is 82 X 90 inches, so the entire top could not be in the photo, but everyone got an eyeful.


On Tuesday my friend Sue came over to pick it up and help me choose a quilting design.  I chose one with open circular swirls including some leaves and feathers.  The backing is light blue and white, so that should show the quilting very well. It should be finished by the end of May.  

TOP TWO:  I had some free time this week and wanted to work on a UFO.  I found my RSC16 16-patch blocks, which had been pieced with some added blocks to make 16.  That was last November.  But it was too small for a small child quilt. It needed 6 inches added all around to make it about 44 inches square.  


When I dug into the hidden areas of my stash I discovered a fleece blanket and some coordinating fabric. Monkeys and bananas, a combination only a child or a quilter could love.


There was enough fabric to do four side pieces of 6 inches, but not the corners.  What better corners than some 9-patch blocks! I whipped the whole thing together in no time.


Wow!  Another super bright flimsy waiting to be backed and finished for Project Linus.  I was even in time on Thursday to link up a post with Ad Hoc Improv Quilts for Kaya at Sew Slowly.  It really was improvised, not at all planned ahead.  

I hope you all had a good stitching week and know that this month of multicolored fabrics was a fun 
learning experience, as it was for me.  Thank you, Angela.

See what all the colorful scrappy fun is about this week at 
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at





16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Paula! That Kaffe Fasset quilt is outstanding! I also really like your improv quilt too. Lots of yummy colors in this post! My favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the colourful Kaffe quilt his fabrics really are lovely, also the monkey quilt which I saw yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Kaffe quilt top is outstanding! Simply breathtaking! And what a great solution to the 9-patch top expansion. Some lucky kid is going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is AWESOME!!!! Happy you didn't leave those blocks in the orphan block box for long because I Love it. You did good. A little one somewhere will love it!
    Beautiful KF quilt top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilts Paula. And you found a perfect solution for the 16-patch baby quilt. A lucky child will smile with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both your quilts, but the bright 16 patches is really awesome. A child will love that quilt! Nice solution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a productive week!! Good find with the monkey fabrics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula, your KF quilt is just beautiful! Perfect for summer with all the bright colors. I love how you made the sashing scrappy! Looking forward to seeing it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your KF quilt turned out beautifully. Congrats on getting just a bit closer on finishing off another UFO. It's a bright and fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paula, your colorful quilt is bananas! (Sorry, I had to!) But it is pretty darn cute. And your Kaffe quilt is going to be lovely. Thanks for linking up all your beautiful tops with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both your quilts. The borders on the Linus quilt set off the 16 patch blocks really well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love the Kaffe quilt!!! Love the super brightness, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such colorful goodness at your place! It is amazing when people haven't heard of whatever it is that "everyone" has heard of. Or a technique that "everyone" has tried.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, some of your quilting friends must live under rocks to not know about KF! Just kidding. I bet you could say Kaffe Fassett to a few quilters who wouldn't know his work or fabric. In the meantime, the rest of us are having a blast studing his work and playing in his gorgeous fabric. You sure know how to do both! I love that quilt and can't wait to see it quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Kaffe Fassett quilt is going to look wonderful on your bed Paula and keep you toasty warm in winter, it will brighten up any winter day. Love the Linus quilt, some child is going to be very happy.

    ReplyDelete