Tuesday, April 25, 2017

AIHC Challenge, April 27

AN EVOLVING IMPROV PROJECT

I started the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2016 by making, among other things, a 16-patch block using the colors of the month supplied by Angela at soscrappy.  They were a mix of two colors each month, such as pink and brown, purple and blue.  I had no thought for any use of them when they were done.  
These were the first four blocks through April, 2016.  My only goal was to make them as colorful and playful as I could.


By August I had nine blocks, nice but not enough to use by themselves.


The tenth color was black and neutrals, which I chose to skip.  Instead, in October I decided to make more muticolored blocks and ended up with these.


I certainly had lots of color but no purpose in mind.  So they just got stuck down in a pile of UFOs untiil last week.  I had some free time and, while browsing through my stash, I found this fleece blanket with monkeys and bananas.  It was designated for a Project Linus quilt backing and at one point I had bought some banana fabric to go with it.   How many people buy banana fabric?  Only us crazy quilters.  


I only needed to add about 6 inches all around to make a little child quilt.  What better than monkeys and bananas?  The finishing touch was the 9-patch corner blocks and one flimsy finished this morning.



Is it colorful enough?  I really love it, an improv to donate to Project Linus on May 8.   In fact, I guess it also counts toward AHIQ goal two because it has two different sizes of blocks  However, I already have some blocks in mind for that goal, so just count it as an extra improv and a UFO finish.

Thanks, Kaya and Ann, for running this challenge.  I'll be back next month for sure.  Come check out the Ad Hoc Improv Quilts doings at  Kaya's blog,  Sew Slowly, or Ann's blog, Fret Not Yourself






11 comments:

  1. Yes, your quilt is gloriously full of color and it will make someone very happy.
    Great improv too. Have a good day Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colours. They are just so happy and full of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in this quilt. They make me smile and I'm sure the recipient will, too. Great border fabric.
    Thanks for linking this darling with AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will make some child quite happy! I like the colors together. claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. some child is going to love this liking the corner blocks to. The fleece backing will be so cosy and soft for a child what a great way to use up your blocks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love seeing your colour combinations, you have a great eye. It's certainly colourful and playful and will be very much loved. You have such a generous heart Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bright 16 patch blocks, a lovely quilt to give as a donation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet PL quilt! It's packed with fun fabrics hiding in the colorful blocks so it will be a great I-spy quilt. Love that banana fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You came up with a great way to use your blocks - it's so bright it made me grin just to see it. Thanks for linking up; I look forward to seeing what you have in mind with your two blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the banana fabric, I thought, hmm, really? And then I saw it with all the bright blocks, and it's perfect!! There's something about the scale of that print (and color) that just really works with the other fabrics. What a fun quilt for Project Linus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful set of colours! I'm sure the lucky recipient is going to love this quilt. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete