Friday, March 17, 2017

RSC17 week 11

I HATE RED!!

It sounds crazy to say that and it's really about the values of red compared to other colors.  I wanted to do another Folded Box block for March to go with the others.


See the strong contrast here that gives it a 3-D effect?  You can do that with lots of colors, but not with red.  On this color chart sample you see instantly that all the other colors have a range from light to dark, but look at red.  Blah, nada, only ONE value.  


So I can't make a Folded Box this month.  I will have to substitute the pink one I made last year as a sample, which turned out very well.  That's the end of my rant about red.
  I did make two red Geese Migration blocks, one using more rosy red to get some variety.



SUMMER QUILT

I'm making great progress on these blocks, have18 out of 30 finished.  Some folks said they would like to see more of them at once, so here is a selection.  The blocks are super simple with only five seams in the 12.5 inch block.  Most blocks have red/orange/lavender to join up for sashing and the outer ones will have a gorgeous red print for the entire border.

 





I love these Kaffe Fassett fabrics and can't wait to use it on my own bed.  Perhaps it will be so bright I won't be able to get to sleep!  

Happy Quilt Appreciation Day to all of you.  I hope we all are able to enjoy spring very soon.  We have lots of birds, but no flowers yet.  

Why not check out all the fun posts at
 Rainbow Scrap Challenge at




21 comments:

  1. My way to deal with reds is to incorporate plaids, polka dots, stripes, geometrics, and reds with splashes of other colors - making it about the textures and nuances with the color itself in a supporting role. That and mixing in burgundy, wine, scarlet, red-orange, etc. Of course, I haven't sewn a single one yet this month even those the stack is pulled and waiting patiently . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you might try for your Folded Box blocks is to find a red with lots of white in the print for your lightest value. You can see a few of mine from last year here: http://quiltsandcostumes.blogspot.com/2016/09/scrappy-3d-blocks.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of red prints with black in it...which can give a dark red value without reading like a burgundy. If you would like me to send you some...just holler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your feelings about red! I find it a hard color to work with in any context. But I would still like to make a red and white quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet any of your rosy red and your reds together would have given you more contrast than you expected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of beautiful, fabulous florals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find I don't have a lot of variety of hue in my reds. I think it's because I buy the reds I like. Great Geese Migration blocks. Your Kaffe blocks look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading all the comments - maybe you got some advice that can help you make a red folded box this month! I love the geese migration blocks. They are beautiful in the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not that fond of RED, either. You've used some in your other blocks and that will just have to satisfy this month's RSC "requirement"!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was interesting to see the comments here as I was thinking would it work to combine red with another color?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a terribly bad influence on me, with all those luscious Kaffe fabrics. When I go broke from buying them, I expect you to come visit me in the Poorhouse! I think red is a fun color. Depending on the scraps you have, you might just try adding in prints with more or less white to create the shading needed for the Folded Box block. Well, you're done with it now, so never mind! :-). xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always struggled with using red in my quilts, and now I know why! Your explanation about the lack of range of values made total sense to me. Pink seems like a different color than just "pale red."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had not given red much thought before but yes it is a colour that does not have shades to it as others have suggested the only way around it is to use patterned fabrics. The Kaffe blocks look super so colourful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes reds are hard to get value showing. Great block you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! I had that same problem with reds this month, trying to find alternating lights and darks. Red very quickly turns into pink, orange, or brown. Glad you have a nice alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, all those luscious Kaffe colors! I may have to go lie down!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many pretty blocks Paula. But you know which ones are my favorite :)

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty blocks! I found a similar problem with the reds. I've been trying to put a dark in the center of each fan, with lighter colors on the edges. It was really hard to do with the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep. Light red is, well, pink....But your Kaffe blocks look great!
    I am two months behind on RSC blocks and they're just going to have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blocks for the summer quilt are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness. I love these KF blocks.

    ReplyDelete