Wednesday, November 23, 2016

RSC16 week 48

A VERY TIMELY PRIZE

For the Modern HST Sampler third quarter Linky party I entered my photo of my finished blocks and was thrilled to win a random prize.  It was a $25 voucher from Gotham Quilts.  Last week I received my chosen gift of fat quarters, XOXO by Cotton and Steel.  These are lovely modern fabrics.

Last week I posted a photo of the very colorful charm block flimsy I just finished.  I had no plans for a backing until the XOXO fabric arrived.  Four of them were perfect for this quilt back.  I added a playful street scene, a half-yard piece from my stash.  Here was the perfect combination for this super bright top and backing.


My friend Laura, who is not really a quilter, is developing a good eye for color as we work together to take photos of my WIPs.  She has much steadier hands.  Here's what we laid out last night down in our club room, my last minute change of mind.


The addition of the sashing and border will give a few extra inches on each side to make sure the sandwich will work.  So the entire backing was FREE and came just in time.  Thank you, Alyce, from 
Modern HST Sampler at  Blossom Heart Quilts

HAPPY SHOPPING

I went to Hobby Lobby this week for Warm and White batting, 40% off with coupon.  I also found the cutest cat fabric I've ever seen, also on sale.  I snapped up two yards, no project in mind, just to love for a while.  Bad photo, this is black on pure white.


  It was only about 4.50 a yard, so if you fall in instant love with these sweet faces, check at HL.  Coincidentally, I saw that Diann of Liitle Penguin had used the same fabric in one of her cross blocks. 

I had decided to do a row quilt with my little sailboats, so I was looking online for some fish fabric for them to sail on.  Did not like any, but HL had this really cute bolt, also on sale.  It's perfect!



I might end up making more boats going the other way variety in the rows.  It should not take long.  So I am pleased that I've got plans for most of my RSC16 blocks and I'm working on other things as well.  Good thing to do in the short winter days. 

I hope everyone has a happy weekend doing what we all like best, fabric shopping.

Check out the Quilty fun at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at

10 comments:

  1. What a cute idea with your sailboats! So fun to find the perfect fabric and especially when it's on sale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a very worthwhile win from Alyce at Blossom Hearts.
    So love the cat fabric saw it on the little penguin blog too, do you know who makes it as would love to see if available in the UK. I was at a stitching show thursday and going again today but when I described it no one seemed to have senn it, will try and photo it off the computer today so I have a photo to share too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cat fabric is adorable. You could color some in with fabric pens too. The fish fabric is perfect for bright sailboats! Who knows what's in the water...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! on your timely win and those great finds at Hobby Lobby. The cats are cute, but that fish fabric for your sailboats is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of that b/w cat fabric too! I've used it in several things. (I only bought a yard and I don't think my HL has it anymore). The fabric to go with the sailboats is perfect! Cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found lots of fun goodies this week! I love the fish fabric to go with your sailboats - that will be a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great backing! Free is terrific. I can't wait to see those sailboats come to the finish line. They look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your clever idea for your sailboats Paula! That is going to be adorable. You have been having really good fabric luck lately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all the rainbow goodness coming together! That fish fabric is perfect, and wow, I do love that cat fabric too! Score on the free backing. :-)

    ReplyDelete