Friday, December 30, 2016

RSC16 week 53

2016 REVIEW

This past year was one of many monthly block projects.  Some were very fulfilling.  Others were good learning and practice opportunities.  As a result I did not have as much time and energy for doing entire quilt projects, except for my Project Linus kids quilts.  Plus, the last couple of months have been taken up with Bonnie Hunter's El Porvence Mystery quilt, lots and lots of piecing.  That plus the use of an old loaner machine this month prevented me from doing anything beyond basics.  No FMQ, no quilting at all.
If this sounds like excuses, it is definitely not.  I'm proud of all the blocks I've made, whether or not they have become finishes.


This is how far I got on piecing together these forgotten blocks from years ago, found in my daughter's attic.  I call it Arizona and it will be a wall hanging when finished.  I love the colors, which remind me of our visit to Phoenix and Sedona.


This is my favorite project from RSC16, my Twinkler wall hanging.  It was definitely in the frustrating but rewarding category and hangs in my bedroom as a flimsy.


Here is my Dog Park quilt when it was donated to Project Linus.  My previous post tells the story of its improv development.  It is one of my favorites.




 My two Pinwheel row quilts were also given to Project Linus.  They started when I received a giveaway of 92 HSTs, which I turned into pinwheel blocks.  I had enough for two quilts, adding rows of some pieced blocks and a lot of precuts.  The backs were made with the leftover fabrics.  Somehow I missed taking full pics of the finishes.

My 6-inch boat blocks continue to multiply and will end up bouncing on the waves in a row quilt.



The RSC16 monthly 16-patch blocks have had a few more added and are now a flimsy.


My 8-inch improv blocks have been the most rewarding project for me.  They are also RSC16 colors. I plan to set them on a grey background, sort of in gallery fashion.  Im definitely going to continue these and do more in this direction.


B
I took part in Modern HST Sampler with Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts   I completed 20 of the 24 12-inch blocks, two a  month.  This Folded Box was a substitute for one of those.  I love the 3-D effect and am going to do this one for RSC17.

Those are the highlights of a very enjoyable year with Angela.  I feel like Rainbow Scrap Challenge is my online neighborhood, with many dear friends.  I wish all of you a very Happy New Year and lots of quilting fun.

I'm linking up with
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at



12 comments:

  1. I have an idea too for next years RSC. Let's hope I stick with it. You have done some wonderful work

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely - I really like the Arizona blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so many great makes here like you I am drawn to your improv blocks, liking the foldded box, have all 24 made but now put away as not sure whether to have sashing so will leave for a while good excuse as I hate layering up quilts, now 11 waiting to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a difficult time choosing a favorite but it may be the folded box. I'm wanting to make a row quilt and am toying with the idea of including it as a BOM or mystery quilt on my blog. Your blocks are definitely inspirational in that sense. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a fair amount done and used a TON of scraps!! Best wishes for a productive 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to revisit all of your blocks and projects, Paula! I am really intrigued with your scrappy improv blocks, and I think I'm going to try some myself this year. I loved the way you said that the RSC is our online neighborhood! I feel the same! Hope you are enjoying New Year's Eve tonight and the best of wishes to you for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You have every reason to be proud of your accomplishments. Eventually all of those beautiful blocks will make it into finished projects. It is all about the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many beautiful projects in the works! I love your Folded Box block and look forward to seeing more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about the sense of community within RSC -- looking forward to our efforts in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many bright and beautiful projects! You should be proud of all of them. I look forward to seeing what you make in 2017. Happy new year Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of bright and beautiful blocks last year. Congrats on so much progress. I'm looking forward to watching your Folded Box blocks develop this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Arizona Wallhanging. It is so beautiful!! Also love the pinwheels quilts for Project Linus. The Folded Box block is very interesting. I agree with you, it's a very good choice for RSC. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete