Tuesday, December 27, 2016

AHIQ, 12/27

Ann and Kaya - I came across your blog from Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts tonight.  I posted a comment about my improv blocks.  When I read your post, Ann, I realized that I have been doing improv quilting all along.  Here is one I'd like to share.

I like to do Project Linus quilts for kids at our local Chidrens Hospital.  I found a discount store that had a sale on fleece blankets, edged at 50 X 60 inches.  At less than $3.00 each I bought a bunch of kid themed ones to use instead of batting and backing.  All I had to do was make a top within those size limits.

Here's the fleece backing, which evolved into my Dog Park quilt.



I had bought this really cute dog fabric  all kinds together on green backing.  But the piece was not long enough.  So I decided,to make a row quilt.  I found the assorted brown strips that looked like paths or fences.  To add more length I broke them up with ball/balloon strips, making the length right.  I still had no name for it.  Then I found this whole Jellyroll of cars running along.  This became the streets  where the owners parked to get out and let the dogs play.  Voila!  A dog park.


It was amazing how all the colors went together and matched the fleece backing.  So here it was:

DOG PARK QUILT


I did give it to our quilt group's charity collection day held twice a year.  This year we collected about 300 quilts of all types and sizes, for veterans, halfway houses, nursing homes, NIQUs and Project Linus.  It is not only creative but satisfying being able to give it to a child who will love it.

.
I'm linking this with AHIQ, Ad Hoc Imrpov Quilter at Fret Not Yourself  



10 comments:

  1. What fun! You added these fabrics so creatively and I'm sure whoever receives this quilt will enjoy it for years. Thanks for linking with AHIQ. It's so enjoyable to be able to read several blogs on this topic easily - that's what a linkup is for after all. I'm so glad you found us and hope you return with more of your work next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, that was a lot of fun to read how this quilt evolved! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a child is going to love this Paula and a fleece backing will feel so nice to the touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to AHIQ, Paula. I love that you have shared the story of your Dog Park quilt; it looks great and I bet it makes someone very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on getting all the fabrics to play together so successfully. I love your Dog Park! And I think using the fleece for the backing/batting is quite brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, very cute, Paula! You can never go wrong with dogs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dog park quilt is very fun! My grand-doggers would like to curl up on it, but would not be allowed!

    ReplyDelete