Friday, December 2, 2016

RSC 16 week 49

PIECE WORK

This week has been nothing but piecing.  One project, the En Provence mystery quilt for Bonnie Hunter, has been ridiculously slow going.  I was waiting for my friend to cut the strips I needed.  Even going at half size for the project it still was a huge amount of 4-patches.  Today, Friday, my grand total was about a dozen 4-patch blocks.  Here is the big layout!


On the other hand, I did have a big piecing finish.  A while back I posted a pic of this Color Spot pattern done with Just Type FQs by Patty Young for Michael Miller.  Now I've decided to call it the Nerdy quilt because it is nothing but nonsense typing.  This was the end of September, seven blocks.


Here is my stack of 120 blocks, total for a twin size quilt.


I don't know when I will get it pieced together.  It will have to wait it's turn.

Me anwhile today my Huskystar machine left for a luxurious spa treatment.  Fortunately, my quilter friend in our building loaned me this vintage machine, which she was given for free last week, an extra for her.  Since it was crowding out her dining area, it came to stay with me for a while.  It is a 1961 Kenmore.  Coincidentally, my first machine was a 1964 Kenmore.  Guess that makes me vintage also.

For you sewing machine lovers, here it is,  a Tri-Span 88, model 88, automatic zig-zag with cams to insert for decorative stitches.


As you see, it has a cabinet and has a knee lever control behind the door.  And here it is in all it's shiny metal glory, looking very mid century modern.


So now the challenge is to try it out, just piecing for now.  I'm eager to get going on an endless amount of block piecing, if it cooperates.  UPDATE:  My daughter came over and got the machine working fine.  Now I can do some more finishing work and piece some of those En Provence blocks that I have been cutting, and cutting and cutting.  

Have a good week everyone. 
For more ideas, check out these link sites:
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at


9 comments:

  1. Good luck on keeping up with the mystery. Knowing that the next step is coming soon is always motivation to keep everything moving forward. What fun vintage machine! So glad you won't have to stop sewing while yours is getting all dolled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the "loaner" machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sweet little machine! How fun to play with it. I thought about joining in with Bonnie'/ QAL, but came to my senses in time - I have so much on my plate now. But I'll watch your progress and enjoy it vicariously! So far, it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one spiffy machine! (Do people still say 'spiffy'?) I hope it serves well while your other machine is off gallivanting.
    I figure to just make some of each mystery clue through December - enough to keep my hand in while I work on (secret) holiday projects - and then catch up in January. That way I can play along with the gang, but not be under any big pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that type fabric! Those look like the perfect blocks to feature the fabric. My first machine (which I still have! ) is a mid -1970s Singer. Do you suppose it is considered vintage now?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing both projects grown. Hope the sewing machine works and you can get lots done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your mystery quilt is coming along well and liking the blocks for the colour spot pattern, I doloike dark sashings etc. The machine looks interesting wish someone would give me a machine mind you I want a janome 8500 but it is about £1800!! so do not think there is anyone wanting to give one of those away

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's a beauty. I told myself I have a customer quilt to finish before I start the Mystery. Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend so that I can join in on the fun. LOVE your vintage machine. She's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Its cabinet reminds me of my mum and dad's RCA stereo from the 60s...maybe 1959 the year they were married... I love your Nerdy quilt blocks!! I hope to join the En Provence...sigh, so many many projects...

    ReplyDelete