Thursday, November 19, 2015

RSC15 week 47

A  BUSY WEEK

Deadlines are a good thing for me and have kept me glued to the sewing machine this week, or so it seems.  On Monday I showed my finished butterfly quilt at our Monona Quilters meeting.


Now I am working on two table runners from the fruits and veggies fabrics, which are both to be given to friends before Thanksgiving.  I found exactly the right backing for them.  It is a very long deep valance with an African feeling.  After ripping miles of seams it was wide enough to also be binding as well as backing.  They are now ready for quilting.


Where is the lime green this time?  I have more than enough balloon blocks for a kids quilt.  So a friend and I  auditioned some sashing choices.


 I originally planned on using thin black strips, but the black was too depressing for a child's quilt.
What about white?


The white did nothing for me or my friend.  She liked grey, but it made me feel sleepy, not happy.
Then the BIG IDEA hit. Why not use lime green sashing instead of making some extra blocks which I won't even need?  Here is our trial photo.


Fortunately I have lots of extra lime green strips, so I will do 30 blocks for the front and a few extras on the back, but no lime green squares.  I will save my fun lime scraps on last week's post to use for my plans for the new year.  Will announce them next week.

I link up with RSC15 at superscrappy.blogspot.com and Sew Cute Tuesday at blossomheartquilts.

16 comments:

  1. I love the lime green as sashing for your balloon blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lime green sashing! What a happy quilt! Looking forward to hearing what you have planned for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the lime green sashing was the best choice too. It really sparkles along with the balloon blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, excellent choice! I love the lime green for sashing. I find deadlines very useful too. Looking forward to seeing what everyone chooses to do for next year's RSC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have thought of using lime green, nor am I usually a fan of it anyway, but holy cow that looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your butterfly quilt is a beauty and I too love the lime green as sashing around the balloon blocks - just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lime green is the perfect happy choice for the sashing. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeeeessssss! The lime is perfecto! Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have been busy, butterfly quilt is wonderful, table runners looking good and yes yes yes lime green is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lime green makes the balloons pop! (ha, ha)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lime green is perfect! Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How would a multi-color print look as sashing? It may make the squares push forward.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your butterfly quilt, pretty pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your butterfly quilt is beautiful! Sweet table runner. Looking forward to seeing your balloon quilt come together. Love those line green strips.

    ReplyDelete