Friday, November 6, 2015

RSC15 week 45

LIME GREEN AT LAST

About twenty years ago I made a wall quilt which I called Sunlight.  It was the third in a series using an unnamed asymmetric block from a Michael James book.  I loved the movement in this block, and in this quilt I accentuated the diagonals of rays of sunlight in the woods.  I used basically greens and yellows, with a lot of lime as well as bits of orange and purple.  I learned a lot about color by trying out each one.  Any color made with added white or black was too dull and stood out like a sore thumb, so out it went.




As you can see in the closeup, I used all types of fabric from velvets to satin ribbons. The leaf print is from a thrift shop 1960's silk sheath dress, which was just the perfect touch I was missing.  Since then I have always been drawn to clear bright colors.

I have been busy quilting another project this week, but will get started on some new lime greens soon.   
I link up with RSC15 at superscrappy.blogspot.com and Sew Cute Tuesday at blossomheartquilts.com.  Do come and enjoy what folks are doing.

16 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVe this quilt! those bands of "sunlight" really shine through it! I used to have one of Michael James' book--lent it to someone and never got it back...I always thought he had such great ideas....lovely job hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a a great piece with some non-traditional. fabrics. the art side of quilting leads us in to wonderful places, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun quilt! SO many pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT piece - love the slanted sunshine look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, what a wonderful piece of art. It does indeed look like rays of sunshine in a dappled forest. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shades of green fabric. I am sure you enjoy it hanging on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - it really does look like sunlight. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula this is amazing; you've captured the essence of sunlight through trees in summer. I've copied your photo to serve as inspiration; I won't be copying your quilt, but I want to work out that block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful! It most definitely looks like shafts of sunlight hitting the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many shades of colors in your quilt. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color combinations and the fabrics you used. How gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very impressive Paula. Love this, so relevant today

    ReplyDelete
  13. this quilt has not dated at all, lovely. I have not tried using other fabrics still just cotton. When I made my first ever block I did buy poly cotton to try thinking of cost but that was much harder to manipulate than cotton so since then always cotton

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt . Love the textures. Very modern. I've never tried to use fabrics other than 100% cotton in quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully done. Gorgeous combo of lustrous yellow and luscious greens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. not sure why this has popped up as it is dated 6th nov and already commented on it?

    ReplyDelete