Friday, December 8, 2017

RSC17 week 49

PLAYTIME

This week has been playtime for me.  In other words, neglecting the finishing quilting and binding on three quilts while getting into some new projects and having fun with them instead.  Does that sound familiar to anyone?   

I don't have any set deadlines right now, no promises made that I can't keep.  But last week I awoke one morning and a Project Linus quilt idea popped into my head full blown.   I had a layer cake stack of animal prints which I had bought for fussy cutting.  They are not in my usual bright colors.  However, a roll of Grunge strips inspired me to do a quilt with those and the animals.  Turqouise and warm orange are included in the prints.  

To make it as quick and easy as possible, I decided on a row quilt, where ther is no seam matching and anything goes.  Here is my first idea laid out on my design floor.


In this case the white pieces act like another bright, versus beige.  So it will be quite lively for a child.  Finding backing fabrics won't be a problem. My bulging stash will breathe a sigh of relief to lose some weight.
  I'm calling this one Waterfront Property.


The other project is my RSC17 or RSC16 neglected blocks, houses and little boats.  As I mentioned before, I've been making some trees for my neighborhood.  Finally I decided to use these three blocks in a row quilt rather than just the house blocks alone.  I even found some cute ocean fabric which I had bought to use with the boats.


The layout here comes right off of my graph paper mockup.  I haven't named this one yet.


The end result has been playing with my blocks and having a good time.  Even if I work on the WIPs I will still be cheered by thinking and planning for these fun row quilts.  

I'm not doing any Christmas Quilting projects this year.  I don't need the pressure.

Join me in the fun of checking out the wonderful things folks are doing at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at

16 comments:

  1. Both of these are shaping up nicely! Isn't it nice to not have any pressure to finish any particular quilt? That way when a squirrel runs through your brain, you can chase it right into the sewing room.

    I'm sewing with some of my Christmas fabrics this year, but have no expectation to finish anything. Just playing with seasonal stuff for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great time playing with fabrics and blocks. Love the row of boats sailing on the fish-filled sea. It will be a lovely Linus quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the houses and boats and fish in the sea! That will be such a fun quilt! Glad you aren't stressing out over finishing Christmas projects - that would not be a fun way to spend the season,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Linus quilt! It's so cute! Yay for stress-free sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your row quilt is adorable...although a bit frightening. I certainly wouldn't want a monkey for a neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects on the go. Love the row of houses and boats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waterfront Property is adorable! Don't you love it when ideas work out so well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Linus quilt is so much fun. Glad you had a great time playing. That's what it's all about.. Having fun. If you finish something, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing more energizing than playing with a new project. Enjoy your playing with those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old projects are no fun. I am always game for something new :)

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your houses, trees, and boats quilt Paula, it is every bit as wonderful as you described. You have the perfect fabric for the sea, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Waterfront Property plan. Row quilts are such a satisfying and easy way to get a quilt made. :-) I'm not doing any Christmas sewing this year either. Gotta take time off every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely adorable! You got a gift of an idea for the layer cake, and a gift it will be to a child. Ignore the busy work, and feed your Muse! You're on a streak.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Animals do bring out the child in us :-) Love your fabrics but your row by row idea is just perfect. I am sure it will be a cute playtime quilt. Isn't it great to have no deadlines?

    ReplyDelete