Friday, September 4, 2015

Throwback Thursday, September 4

FIRELIGHT

This is the first in a series of three quilts that I made in the 1980's.  I wanted something with movement, not a static symmetrical block.  I found the unnamed block in a photo in a Michael James book.  I liked the diagonals mixed into it.
  Starting with some hand dyed fabric I had done in the sixties, I added every type of fabric that worked, including satins, velvets and plaids.  My vision was of a campfire in the woods, so each hand cut piece was added to enhance that effect.  
  I quilted it in the ditch, the only way to deal with all the different textures.





I was a member of Block Party Quilters in the Seattle area. This quilt was the beginning of my path into art quilts, which has been my most rewarding work.  With health changes I am more limited now, so I am doing simple things.  However, I always work out the patterns and colors for myself and am getting back into the creative side of quilting again.

I link up with RSC15 at superscrappy.blogspot.com, Sew Cute Tuesday at blossomheartquilts.com and Throwback Thursday at kristaquilts.blogspot.com.   Come along and join the fun.


3 comments:

  1. This is so interesting looking - different close-up than far away. Wish I could see it in person to see the different textures. Great finish to have in your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt looks great, and it's a very unusual block. I can definitely see the campfire effect you were going for. Thanks for linking up at Throwback Thursday today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks complicated as the blocks are made up with unusual shapes, works very well very eye catching, it must have been tricky working with fabrics other than cotton good to see something from years ago

    ReplyDelete