Thursday, February 8, 2018

RSC18 week 6

PURPLE  CHALLENGE

This month is not my favorite for weather, and this year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color, purple. When I pulled my purple stash I was really disappointed.  There are some terrific batiks, but otherwise all the rest seem very dull.  I also have very few prints to use.  I was hoping to find lovely florals, especially lilacs and violets, two of my favorite flowers.   Overall, a pretty depressing stash for me.  I'm sticking to my rule of no fabric purchases this year, so there will be slim pickings.  

However, I did find a large scrap of a gorgeous floral and used it for my first Sawtooth Star block.   




I was really surprised when the photo showed it off better than it appeared to my eyes. The slanting light seemed to bring it alive. 

The 16-patch block was not very exciting at all.  See all the pale grayish tones?  Now I have a collection of 2-1/2 inch squares which will probably get moldy in the bottom of some orner of the closet.



In order to have something to show for February, I'm making a Project Linus quilt using purple and pink strips and  charms.  The fleece backing for this is a sweet unicorn print on purple.  Some little girl will love it.  



Enough of these negative purple thoughts.  On the definetly positive side:

BIG NEWS!  

I'm going to buy myself a new sewing machine. My current one was bought twelve years ago when I retired.  It was not a high end machine and has gotten good use, but has some real drawbacks for quilting.  The throat space, between the needle and the body, is only 5-1/2 inches.  I have to turn the wheel in order to raise and lower the foot.  There are other drawbacks as well.   

I've done quite a bit of comparison shopping, mostly online, and have decided on a real quilting machine at a good price.  If the snow ever holds off this week, I hope to get to the sewing store to try it out.  Hopefully the big reveal will be next Saturday.  


I'm looking forward to seeing what all of you folks have been up to.
See you at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at



22 comments:

  1. not a lot of purples, no, but they're really not too bad! hope you're getting a Bernina! I love mine-the needle up/down, and thread cutter are great! I've heard that jukis can sew really, really fast, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple makes me happy and your 4-patch block has great color! And the star with the fabulous flower in the center is beautiful. Who doesn't love unicorns? Some little girl is going to be over the moon! Have fun machine shopping! It sounds exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty blocks. The Linus quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is exciting, Paula! Hope the new machine is home and ready to play with soon. I like your purple blocks - especially the way you fussy cut the center for the star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new machine, how exciting! Twelve years is plenty of time to wait. Lots of new features that can be helpful. I'm lusting after a machine with a serpentine stitch myself. And I love your purple blocks. Do yourself a favor and give away those old purple squares. Someone will love them and you'll get a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you need new glasses, Paula? I think you've got some wonderful scraps in those RSC blocks!! Best of luck with choosing your new machine. I'll be looking forward to your big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your purples don't look dull to me. And that's the nice thing about scrappy quilts...all fabrics look good together when all is said and done.

    Congrats on the new machine! I know all about small throats - quilting ain't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, I like your purple blocks, Paula. I can't see any problem with them, you did a great work with your purples, really!
    Wow, great news ... a new sewing machine for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your purple star with that lush flower in the centre; very exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful star block! And I will wait for next saturday to see your newby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the center of your first block is just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you're going to love have more throat space and a needle down function! After I upgraded last year, I wondered how I got along without them. Very exciting!

    I don't think your purples look greyed out all. To me, your 16 patch is very purply-purple :) And the center of your star is a gorgeous little scrap indeed! But I do understand if you see a color a certain way in your mind's eye and your scraps don't reflect that, it can be disappointing. At least you have purple unicorn fleece on hand. How many people can claim that?? Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have more holes in my stash than a leaky cauldron, I feel your pain. Saying that you have two rather nice blocks there, I love the star centre, it sets the block off beautifully. No new fabric for the whole year, sad, let's see how long you hold put hehe! I bought my latest machine, a Bernina 770, for the large throat too and chose it partly because I love my 440, twelve years old and going strong, I wouldn't part with it. I would have settled for a machine with fewer features though, I don't tend to use the thread cutter as it cuts the top too short for me and it sometimes becomes unthreaded, I don't need all the stitches either. In fact a wide throat machine with a good basic choice of stitches would be great, plus the up down, knee lift etc. The thing I miss is the foot lever, I havn't got one, sad :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. A new sewing machine! So exciting! I hope it has all the bells and whistles that aren't necessary but are so much fun. I love the purple that you did manage to find. The star block is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A new toy! What fun. I can't wait to see what you get. I think your purple blocks look great - but one of my favorite colors is purple. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a huge pile of dull purples...I think we called it smokey. It was definitely the rage in the 90s. But they let all the modern purples stand out and show off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, your blocks certainly look vibrant on my screen. Glad to hear you’re thinking of a new machine. That should be a fun upgrade for you! Hugs from sunny Southern Arizona....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think both of your purple blocks look great! Especially the star. LOVE THAT! I am so excited for you getting a new sewing machine! It will be fun to see your big reveal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your floral sawtooth star turned out beautifully. Hope you've been able to get out and get your new machine. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete