Friday, July 15, 2016

RSC16 week 29

EVERTHING'S COMING UP ROSY

This was a productive week for me, trying to get my commitments done.  My OMG goal for July is to finish my pair of Pinwheel Quilts, which were just flimsies about 42 inches square.  As of today I can report I have finished the quilting and have only the dreaded binding left.  My arms got a workout doing those twisting rows and straight ones were easier.  

Here is my progress on the Modern HST Sampler called Turnstile.  It consists of many smaller HSTs and lots of white, too much for my liking.  I'm torn between two different background colors and could use your input.  It is a modern series, but lately I've been using more foliage for the greens.
 Number One is modern:


I know the black is a strong contrast, but it makes a statement ( what it says is whatever you think, like Wake Up!, or just Yuck, I hate it! )  

Number Two is definitely traditional:


The light is not great  but it is a pink floral on white.  It's stretching my limit of what is modern, but it would blend better with other blocks.

My ROSY Twinkler is one I'm very happy with summer at its best.  I just love it.


I'm joining another project, Melody Larson's Focus on Fusing, which is just starting and I'm waiting for a fabric order to arrive so I can get going on learning her methods.

Do check out what others are doing.  I link up with RSC16 at  
soscrappy and Sew Cute Tuesday at  
Blossom Heart Quilts

16 comments:

  1. Your twinkler is beautiful. I personally like the black, but if it doesn't play nicely with the other blocks, I can see where the pink would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Katie, I like the black better of the two, but don't use it if it doesn't work with your other blocks. Do you have something brighter than the pale pink in the second version?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the fussy cut twinkler star!!!!!
    (I like the neutral color better in this instance!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Twinkler is fantastic! I think I would love to do a whole quilt of those!! The only thing that bothers me about the block with the black is its stark contrast with the different central green. To me, if those pinwheels were lime like the other green in the block, it would look better. But, it has to play well with the others, so you'll have to be the judge of that. Fun blocks this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! That Twinkler... it really twinkles!! Good luck with your design decisions regarding the Pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that twinkler! I think the pink background makes the colors pop but the black brings them down. Too stark a contrast. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's easy to see why you love your twinkler so much; it's gorgeous!! I am not a floral lady but this one I do love. I like the black block the most as it is bold and might work as a punch line in the quilt. (maybe?) Anywho! That's my twopence. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rosy twinkler block is beautiful, Paula. Love it. I will be looking forward to see what you decided abou the pinwheel blocks. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful twinkler block. I like the black, very bold and dramatic. But if really does not work with the other blocks do you have more of dark pink you used for the star points in Twinkler. That might be a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked both the black and the oight pink background for your HST block - I agree with the others that it definitely depends on how that block looks with the others you've made. The twinkler block is so pretty! The rose fabric in the center is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love that Twinkler!
    I agree about not being able to really judge about the black without seeing other blocks with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the rosy twinkler is so sweet. I could see a quilt all like those.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a dilemma all right. Somehow the turnstile block with the black patches looks more cohesive to my eye. Maybe that's just because the pieced parts have been laid on top of the pink print. Is there something you could use that would be dark like the black but not that dark, like maybe a deep purple? Look at the colors you've used in the other blocks in that set, maybe there's another hue in there you could substitute for the black successfully. Meanwhile, you've done a beautiful job with the rosey twinkler!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer the black but like Cathy says not sure about the green in the centre, as you have used different fabrics in each block I think this will work well with the others. Twinkler star has certainly caught my eye a real beauty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the fussy cutting for your Rosy Twinkler!

    ReplyDelete